Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What is the most effective way to deal with a crazy person?

Up until recently, I had not had the unfortunate opportunity of dealing with a crazy person. Some refer to this person as a "weirdo," and "psychopath", and even "stalker." (Stalker really scares me, so I choose not to use it.) I am not a psychiatrist, and mean no disrespect by using these terms. I am simply trying to illustrate the type of crazy I'm dealing with.

Maybe a few examples would help. While at work today, my phone froze because of the incessant texts and facebook messages this person was sending. In the past, I've had 4-7 voicemails from this person in one hour, going on and on about how in love they are with me, and that's after I have asked them to never contact me again. In the same day, this person will call me crying, begging for my help and friendship, then do a complete 180 and say the most disgusting, horrific things. (They're too vulgar to include...my stomach hurts when I think about it.)

If you recall, this is the same crazy person that contributed to ruining my day (Yesterday=A Good Day Turned Bad) a while ago. I'm trying not to let this person ruin any more days; I've even been convincing myself that all I can do is feel sorry for them. But it's gotten to the point where it's a little scary, and not too funny. Many have suggested that I get a restraining order, but what good would that do? Most of the harassing is done via phone, text, and e-mail. I really don't want to have to change my phone number, but it might come down to that. I'm so grateful that this person thinks I'm a horrible writer and wouldn't dare to read this blog.

Really, what's a girl to do? I need help!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

borderline personality disorder.

Never dealt with someone with it, but know somebody who has.

I think what ended that though was her moving 1200 miles away. And after his next rlsp, he settled down...

So yeah, no worthwhile advice from me.

-Kevin

Brian said...

I've been here. Yes, obsessive compulsive -- I know this person.

Ignore them. Don't respond. Don't call, don't write, don't exist to them.

Without your response, they have nothing. Don't give them ANYTHING. The slightest acknowledgement will feed the fire.

It's not easy. But hang in there. After a while, they'll move one. And you'll be able to move on as well.

About Me

I'm just figuring things out.