She puts him to sleep with her words
because he's too tired to actually listen
or just doesn't feel like it anymore.
He only hears the noise
but has no use for the content.
But she's waiting for the rain
to come tapping down and put her to sleep.
if she's lucky.
Sleepless nights of songs outside
sound like she's dreaming
in her mind
but she wakes up and realizes
she's already been awake
and not asleep at all this time.
Her words meant nothing
and those nights when
her teeth fall out
or there's a bad guy chasing her
or they're flying
or they're falling
or maybe together?)
also mean nothing.
But maybe someday something.
When they're living without
a down or an up
a backward or a forward
a wrong or an almost acceptable or a no-one-will-find-out,
in a world
where nothing is definitive
and everything except the certainty of the bad dreams coming
they need things to put them to sleep
be it words
And then it poured.
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
I admit that I'm not the most positive person in the world. I'm a definite Complainer Face, as my friends like to say. Yes; I complain. I bitch and moan and whine like a little baby at times. I tend to like getting my way. When the TV is on, I get the remote. When I'm hungover, the world stops. (For real...no talking, no touching, no music, no lighting.) When I'm upset, people will know about. (Props to Eric for calling me out this weekend. No Eric, I'm not the only person who's ever gone through a breakup. That really made me think about the grand scheme of things.) These character flaws are no longer acceptable. I've decided that I'm going to try to be more positive, starting with this list of stuff I'm feeling happy about.
1) I was pleasantly surprised that I got all of my shit done at work today...without even having to stay late! Maybe I'm doing better than I give myself credit for. The e-marketing campaign I've been working on for weeks launches tomorrow!
2) Hanley is open again over 40 and it's been making my life SO much easier.
3) Through a combination of eating a tiny bit healthier and not being able to eat at all (I've been trying, really I have), I've lost 10 pounds over the past 3 weeks. While I deserve no credit for this and realize it's highly unhealthy, I must admit it's also been highly effective. My stomach is noticeably flatter.
4) My pile of laundry is also getting noticeably flatter. Not small by any means, but not necessarily a mountain range anymore.
5) This week I'm fortunate enough to have tickets to multiple Cardinal baseball games. (And a possible rendezvous with the Padre's bullpen on Washington Avenue afterwards, courtesy of Mr. Dan Clements.)
6) Dan Clements is coming! And so is the Koko Monkey and my madre.
7) Summer is concert season, and this summer has been full of awesome ones. Still in the line-up: Blink 182/Weezer and Farm Aid.
8) My intern leaves on Friday! This means no more wasted time answering ridiculous, inane questions about the copy machine (which he's managed to break multiple times), no more messy desk next to me, no more having to shout his name over the Dane Cook playing on his iPod that obviously takes precedence over him actually working.
9) I've picked up The Fountainhead again for the first time in a long time. I'm so determined to finish it, and very very curious about how things will end up. Sexxxxy-ass Howard Roark.
10) I just saw the footage of Claire McCaskill getting booed and laughed out loud. Don't freak out, Claire. People just don't like you.